WINPLT is a program for the production of high quality chemical structure drawings with Windows computers (Win 95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Win 7).
WINPLT || FAQ
- Single or multi-page drawings.
- Easily draw all types of organic and inorganic chemical structures.
- Place formatted text anywhere, with any baseline direction (rotated text).
- Filled and shaded orbitals, rectangles, triangles, stars, circles and arbitrary polygons can be produced.
- Insert NMR spectra; "trace" hard-copy NMR spectra to make editable electronic files.
- Produce X,Y graphs.
- Insert bitmaps (GIF, JPG, BMP).
- Export as hard copy or as BMP, WMF, EMF, GIF, JPG, EPS or HTML.
- Draw a variety of curves (solid, dashed, dotted or filled).
- Slide show mode.
Graphics Material can be produced quickly and accurately
- One-click drawing of common chemical bonds and rings.
- Lines can be drawn with the mouse or with cursor keys.
- Curves of arbitrary length (extended Bezier curves) can be easily produced. The curves can have an arrow at one end (for electron-pushing drawings) or at both ends (for indicating relationships). They can also be printed dashed or dotted (to represent delocalized charge, for example), and they can be filled.
- One or two-click addition of stereochemical labels, spiro or fused rings, keto, sulfoxide and sulfone groups.
- Fused, bridged and spiro chair cyclohexanes can be added easily.
- Line thickness and color can be varied.
- Drawings and text can be produced with exact dimensions, specified in mm.
- Scalable orbitals and other graphics object are easily inserted.
- Text material can be produced in various fonts, colors, sizes or styles (bold, italic, underline, superscript, subscript).
- Text labels can positioned First (left justified), Last (right justified) or Middle (centered). They can also be positioned at the first appearance of a period, a colon, a slash or an equal sign (. : / =) for perfect alignment of columns of numbers
or product ratios.
- Text can be rotated (non-horizontal baseline)
- Commonly used chemical symbols such as triple bond, degree, greek characters, arrows (reaction, equilibrium), radical anion, radical cation, double-dagger are easily inserted in labels.
- Multiline text material will automatically word-wrap according to Line Length Parameter and Line Spacing Parameter settings, so paragraphs of text can be produced.
- One-click addition of common atom labels: OH, F, Br, Cl, S, OCH3, and others.
- New Search and replace of text in current page or all pages of a PLT document.
Multi-Page PLT Drawings
- PLT Drawings can be single-page or many pages long. Thus the slides for an entire seminar lecture, a multipage examination, all of the drawings and spectra for a long paper, or the source for an extended web page can be stored in a single PLT drawing.
- Easy navigation between pages.
- Individual pages can be printed, exported, copied, cut, moved around within the document or deleted. Entire multi-page drawings can be printed or exported as a single or a series of web pages. For an example of a web page produced directly from a > 265-page PLT drawing see the Synthesis web site.
Printing and Exporting Drawings
- PLT drawings can be printed on any Windows printer or other output device.
- Size and position of drawings on the page is fully controlled by the user.
- Windows Metafiles (WMF or EMF), bitmaps (BMP, GIF) Postscript files (EPS) can be produced for incorporation into word processing and other graphics programs.
- PLT drawings (text and graphics) can be converted into complete, ready-to-link web pages (HTML). For some examples see:
Carbon-13 Chemical Shifts,
Electron Pushing Acid,
Multipage PLT drawings can be printed 2, 4 or 6 pages per printed page, for a compact record of a PLT document such as seminar or classroom lecture, an examination or a set of figures for a paper.
- In addition to the normal Windows file handling dialogs, WINPLT has Open From... and Save To... options, which allow selection from a pre-defined list of drives-directories. In this way it is usually unnecessary to negotiate around complex directory structures to save and open PLT files.
- WINPLT has a File View option, which allows disk files to be viewed, and individual structures to be captured.
Drawings can be edited easily with no restrictions.
- Multiple (50-level) undo and redo.
- Single points (labels, lines, frames, NMR spectra, graphs, bitmaps) can be dragged with the mouse (Left-Drag)
- Select larger portions of a drawing to be edited using Box-Modify for rectangular areas of a drawing or Lasso Modify for arbitrary portions of a drawing.
- Individual control points of bezier curves can be dragged for easy editing of curves.
- Selected material can be copied, docked, dragged, erased, rotated, flipped, expanded, shrunk, printed, and exported as a graphic.
- The line width or color of all selected graphics lines can be changed.
- The color, size, font, style of all labels in the selected material can be changed
- All of the labels in the selected area can be aligned vertically or horizontally.
- All of the points in the selected area can be aligned vertically or horizontally.
- Simple X, Y Graphs can be produced easily as an integral part of a PLT drawing.
- Least squares line can be drawn.
- The Graph routine will also produce graphs of functions (y = f(x), where f(x) can be defined by the user).
- A single drawing can thus include graphics material (chemical drawings), atom labels, paragraphs of text, and X Y graphs.
- NMR spectra files produced with the NMR workup programs NUTS and PCNMR4WINDOWS can be imported into PLT, and simulations or spectra produced by the NMR simulation program
can be imported into PLT drawings through the clipboard.
- The spectra can be displayed in color and printed as a solid line, dotted line, or dashed line, in any of 5 line thicknesses.
- Multiple spectra can be stacked, and the spectra can be sized, repositioned on the page, and clipped arbitrarily (individually or in groups).
- The spectra can be integrated and section expansions can be created.
- New Peak-picking of single or multiple peaks, labeled in Hz or ppm.
- Scanned NMR spectra can be "traced" to produce vector-based NMR spectra. This allows legacy hard-copy NMR spectra to be converted to vector format and included in PLT drawings. Scan an NMR spectrum as a black and white GIF or BMP file, and load it into PLT using the Insert|Trace Bitmap NMR menu.
- A single drawing can thus include graphics material (chemical drawings), atom labels, paragraphs of text, NMR spectra, bitmap images and X Y graphs.
- All of the graphics in the papers below were created with WINPLT:
Amine-Chelated Aryllithium Reagents - Structure and Dynamics, Reich, Goldenberg, Gudmundsson, Sanders, Kulicke, Simon, Guzei J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2001, 123, 8067-8079. PDF Suppl.
The Regioselectivity of Addition of Organolithium Reagents to Enones: The Role of HMPA, Sikorski, Reich, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2001, 123, 6527-6535.(Article) PDF Suppl; J. Org. Chem. 1999, 64, 14. PDF
- One-click zooming, repositioning.
- Position and size of the screen display can be controlled by the user.
- A rectangular grid can be displayed.
- Extensive on-line and context-sensitive help.
PLT has a presentation mode "Slide Show" which can be used for computer presentation of a chemical lecture (a la Power Point). Thus drawing, editing and presenting a talk can be done entirely within PLT - no more copying, cutting, pasting, re-positioning and reimporting graphics when the presentation program is separate from the drawing program. For example, this web page was created from a PLT drawing, the same PLT drawing was also used for the seminar presentation using the slide show feature of PLT.
- PLT allows easy customization of many adjustable parameters (e.g., line widths, double and triple bond separation, wedge bond width, hatch bond line separation, export types, color schemes, super/subscript size, screen scales, print scales and arrowhead size).
- A list of commonly used folders (directories) can be set up to allow easy navigation on your hard drives.
Last change: June 12, 2010