PLT is Free Shareware.
You should register your copy, but there is no charge.
Downloading and installing WINPLT on Windows7 and later Versions
Microsoft has made changes in Windows 7 and 10 that no longer allow the current WINPLT installation programs to function, Until this problem is resolved, you can install WINPLT manually as follows (this will, of course, also work for earlier versions of Windows if you prefer a hands-on installation):
In another mean-spirited move Microsoft has decided that it will no longer support the WinHelp files used by WINPLT. You can install the needed support files for Windows up to 8 by following the directions in this link. Even more mean-spirited, Windows hlp files are no longer supported at all in Windows 10. Here is a Word.doc file that provides most of the functionality of the help file PLT71-Help-WORD.docx (it is a work in progress).
- Download this zip file: PLT71-manual-install-2018.zip
- Create a folder (WinPLT) on your system and extract the contents of the zip file to this folder. The program might run at this point, but there are some settings that might have to be changed:
- Open the WinPLT folder, right-click on the PLT71.exe file and open the Properties dialog of the executable. Set the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" to "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)." It might also be a good idea to set the "Privilege level" to "Run this program as administrator"
- Double click on PLT71.exe to run the program.
- To uninstall WINPLT simply delete the WINPLT folder.
- This install method will not create any file associations, but this is easy to do manually. Open a file with the PLT extension (double-click on it) (there are several in the "Samples" folder). When you get the dialog "Windows can't open the file" click on the "Select a program from a list of installed programs" and click "OK." Find "PLT71.exe" in the list of executable programs presented in the "Open with" dialog, and click on "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." You can do the same for PLT files with the TEM extension, if you like.
Downloading and installing WINPLT for WIN-XP and earlier versions
This version of PLT may be distributed freely, but may not be sold
except as authorized by Rylaz Products.
Download the file PLT71set.zip with the "Save to disk"
option in your WWW browser into a temporary folder, and unzip it. It contains two files, a README.TXT file and PLT71SETUP.EXE, a self-installing
To install WINPLT v7.1 on your system double-click on the file PLT71SETUP.EXE
in Windows Explorer and follow the prompts (the installation is
completely reversible with UNINSTALL).
The installation can be run in English, German, Italian, French or Spanish (PLT itself uses English only).
PLTSETUP will do the following:
- The files below will be installed in the C:\Program Files\WINPLT folder (or other
drive-folder you select):
- PLT71.EXE (Code)
- PLT71.DAT (Required: default values of parameters, other data used
- PLT71.INI (Custom configuration information - Not essential on startup)
- PLT71.HLP (The WINHLP file)
- UNWISE.EXE (Needed to uninstall PLT)
- INSTALL.LOG (Needed to uninstall PLT)
- CIMAGE.DLL and FREEIMAGE.DLL (Graphics manipulation files)
- A number of PLT Template files (extension TEM) will be installed in the WINPLT\PLTTEM subfolder.
- A few sample PLT drawings will be installed in the WINPLT\SAMPLES subfolder.
- The item WINPLT will be placed in the Start menu.
- Current version is PLT 7.1.19 (April 22, 2014).
Send an email to
requesting a password. Please provide your name and affiliation.
PLT is fully functional without a password, except that a nag screen might apear, and "Unregistered" text might be added to exported drawings.